Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

14. A Turkish Feast for Two


"Cory, we're back to Countries this week."
"Do we have to?"

:) He's a champ. So we made this meal worth it!

We had a wonderful weekend together. I took off work (which I know sounds absurd given most people don't "take off" Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays)... for four glorious days. Last week, I miraculously turned around a really big project on a really tight deadline, which left me completely exhausted and sleep deprived. We only have a few weeks left of class, so I want to finish strong. Sometimes finishing strong requires taking yourself out of the game for a little while.

I also got back to cooking and veggies and all of those things that help me recoup. This week, we're tackling Turkey, Mexico, and Poland. Mmmm...

These recipes are modified from F&W.com, so I provided links and my substituted ingredients.


Watermelon and Goat Cheese Salad with Tangerine Vinaigrette
*we used tangerines instead of oranges

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/watermelon-and-goat-cheese-salad

We had a watermelon, goat cheese, and mint salad at our wedding... so I was decided to try to make my own. We loved this treat -- although the goat cheese was very filling (so use sparingly!). I saved individual leftover portions in small tuperwares for an extra treat this week.

---




Turkish Kebabs with Garlic Tahini 
*we used pork instead of lamb

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/turkish-shish-kebabs-with-garlicky-tahini

These were absolutely amazing - so fresh and yummy, and the mint added an extra twist. We stuffed leftovers in pitas with the awesome garlic tahini sauce for lunch tomorrow... can't wait!


---

Turkish Chopped Salad 
*instead of pomegranite molasses, used grapeseed oil, watermelon juice, apricot juice, and rice vinegar

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/turkish-chopped-salad


All together, we loved this meal and will definitely recreate! The veggie prep was a little intense, but I managed to make a fruit salad along the way, and the chopped salad will last us a few more meals. I am a huge fan of hummus, but I loved the garlic tahini sauce as an accompaniment to the pork skewers. Totally delicious. We'll be visiting Turkey again soon, for sure!!



No comments:

Post a Comment