Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mediterranean inspired hummus!

I love hummus... and I'm sorely disappointed that almost all of  the premade hummuses in the stores are packed with fat and non-traditional ingredients like mayo (what? seriously?). Rather than pay $4 for fake hummus, I made a HUGE batch of my own for under $2. Hummus is definitely a taste-and-tweak personal preference thing, so I rarely record ingredients as I go.. but here are some estimates.

Lemon Rosemary Hummus (makes a billion servings)
2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/4 c Tahini paste
1/3 c EVOO
1 T rosemary
1 T lemon juice
paprika, for topping

Blend ingredients (except paprika) in a good food processor until creamy. Add EVOO to make hummus more fluid, add Tahini to make hummus more nutty. Sprinkle with paprika and serve!

We added hummus to toasted sandwiches made with light whole wheat bread, onions and baby bella mushrooms sauteed in a little Pam, sprouts, and melted low fat provolone. Cory had seconds -- and he never ate hummus before we started dating! Healthy success :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Birdy! I actually was just going to scour the internet for hummus recipes. My last one was way too garbonzoy. I need lots of flavor.

    *kate

    ReplyDelete