Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

11. Haitian Rice, Black Beans, and Corn Fritters




I must say -- I was pleasantly surprised with Haiti night! In all the hustle and bustle of this term, I've been looking forward to a mid-week cooking break.

I've felt so blessed lately - I have a wonderful husband, a job that I love, and such supportive friends and family. Sometimes, though, I forget to sit back and appreciate everything. I get bogged down in the details and to-do's, and I lose the big picture. Dorky disclaimer on this next statement, but I get a little sappy on weeks when I'm analyzing data. There's something empowering and almost awe-filled about unveiling a new pattern in the numbers-- particularly when those relationships can potentially change people's lives. I've decided data analysis days are among the few times when researching autism and fragile X is just about as inspiring as working one-on-one with kids and families affected by these disabilities. I feel so lucky to have a job that enables me to better understand the experiences and development of the super special kiddos who inspired me to go to grad school in the first place. So many random moments this week have reminded me of them. :)

I'm trying to "soak in" the little things more these days. During dinner, I had a little flashback to one of my favorite wedding day memories: our nearest and dearests lined up outside the dock with sparklers, leaving the two of us inside to "soak it in" -- we just stood there and looked out over the water. I remember saying, "This is it. We're married. We're at our wedding reception." It felt so peaceful to say it -- to just enjoy it for a few moments.

My mom has always been so supportive of my little adventures, and she's always telling me to "remember this," or "enjoy that," or "keep these memories." We have so much to be grateful for -- as stressful and crazy as our young, busy lives can get. Cooking gives me time to think, refocus, soak it all in. The house is quiet, the e-mails put away... it's just me, some obscure spices/ingredients, my trusty "boston terrier," and Co (if he's braving the kitchen that day). Such a therapeutic experience after a long day of work.

This meal wasn't too labor intensive, but it certainly took some time. I actually prefer those meals sometimes -- it's such a stress relief to do something productive with my hands without worrying too much about technique. I never fry food, but the corn fritters were a fun treat. The tumeric in the rice was subtle but satisfying. I've also never tried black beans mixed with balsamic, but they turned out delicious, too... after Co went to the store to buy me another bottle of balsamic. I dropped a grocery bag of vinegar and wine on the way home, and luckily the vinegar buffered the wine's fall :)

Enjoy!

Haitian Rice, Beans, and Corn Fritters

Healthy Haitian Tumeric Rice

1 T EVOO
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 c brown rice
1 box low sodium chicken stock
2 tsp tumeric
2 bay leaves
S, P, and cayenne

Heat the EVOO in a skillet, then saute the onion and garlic until translucent (5 minutes). Add the rice, and stir for one minute. Next, add spices and enough broth to cover. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, adding more broth as the mixture reduces. Remove bay leaves and serve.

*Note: the original recipe called for 1 c Arborio rice and 1/2 c broth + 1/2 c water (mixed in at once). I think brown rice has a longer cooking time, hence my method above. You may need to mix and match until you find the right fit for you!



Haitian Balsamic Black Beans

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced and cut into 1" pieces
2 T balsalmic
S&P

Combine ingredients in a bowl, let marinate for 30 minutes.. then serve alongside (or on top of) rice.

Haitian Corn Fritters

Mmm... a fried (but delicious) mess.
3 eggs
1/2 c water
1/4 c butter
1 c flour
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
oil for frying
sea salt
tomato sauce for dipping

Combine eggs water, butter, and flour until mixed through. Stir in corn, and let the mixture sit for a few minutes. I radically changed the proportion on this (doubling the flour, reducing the water), so find a proportion that works for you. Drop into hot oil and drain on paper towels. Serve with tomato sauce for dipping.

Recipes tweaked from:  http://friendseat.com/CARIBBEAN-RICE-AND-BEANS-Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment