Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowday Brunch: Baked Potatoes, Chorizo, and Eggs

Snow day! Best first day of class ever, no? I didn't get to skip any classes, but I did miss my first day back at practicum. I'm not complaining -- although I am definitely procrastinating on the three big school projects I need to get done today. It's still early ;)

Molly was stressed.
"Where is my pinestraw?!"
Cory loves snow drama. All of these cars attempted to escape from our
complex and failed. The tow truck is starting at the top of the hill...
We spent most of the morning watching our neighbors attempt to escape the apartment complex in underpowered cars, making Molly face The Elements, taking down our Christmas tree (sigh), and rearranging furniture. In other words, we worked up quite an appetite! To keep us going, I threw together this yummy recipe tweaked from Food and Wine Magazine (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/baked-eggs-with-chorizo-and-potatoes)... 100% from ingredients we had floating around our pantry.


Baked Potatoes, Chorizo, and Eggs
4 gold potatoes
1 large onion, diced
1/2 T vegetable oil
3 large links of chorizo (left over from Portuguese night!)
4 eggs
S, P, & cayenne, to taste
hot sauce

Preheat oven to 375. Bring potatoes to boil in lightly salted water. Boil for 20 minutes, covered, then drain. Once cooled, chop into large bite-sized pieces, peeling off the skin as you cut.

Meanwhile, crumble chorizo and cook in a medium dutch oven for about 5 minutes, until halfway done. Add diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Remove mixture from pot, add vegetable oil, and saute potatoes until slightly browned. Add back in the chorizo mixuture and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.

Remove the dutch oven from heat and use a large spoon to make four indentations, spaced apart. Crack the four eggs into the indentations, then bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Egg whites should be set and yolks gooey. Serve immediately with hot sauce!

The verdict? Awesome. We loved it. Easy, cheap (I'd liberally estimate $3-4 worth of ingredients for 4-5 servings), and perfect power-brunch for a snowy day. Hope all of you fellow-cloistered-ones are having as much fun on this unexpected day off as we are!

2 comments:

  1. I totally wish I was snowed in at your house! Or my house... I might even have Chorizo.

    ReplyDelete